August 15, 2014

Singing classes

I owe a lot to my singing teacher, she is one of the most inspiring people I have ever met. If not for her, I would never have been where I am now. She always drags me through the things I find difficult to do. 'We'll try something else' she would say, 'and if that doesn't help we'll find another way to get where we want to go.' Then we would try the silliest things, making the most idiotic faces and hideous sounds, but in the end we would get results.
Singing is something very difficult to explain. How on earth do you explain that you need to pull that muscle or that you need to sing with a low larynx? Yes, sure, I do understand, but now I need to find the way to actually do that. That's where the teacher comes in. There are so many ways of teaching and every teacher have their own tricks, so it's very important to find someone you have a connection with and that their way of teaching fits your way of singing.
My first singing class was not a disaster, but the classes that followed more or less were. (If you would ask my teacher she would never say they were, but they were, believe me.) The first time I had to make a incredible, ugly, sharp sound I thought she made a joke. I was not going to do that, but of course: I did anyway. In the end it meant the world for reaching the high notes more powerful, but at the time I was incredible embarrassed and scared for making a sound that was not beautiful.
Everyone who had to learn something ever knows the way it goes when you suddenly realise why you did what you had to do, why you did all these silly exercises and then know how to use that knowledge. Everything goes smooth and you have some kind of high, but then you'll have to move on and you'll have to start all over on a new subject. First you get frustrated and annoyed, but then again you'll get the bright moment again and it all starts over. Now double these feelings (or tripel or even more) and you'll get the idea of singing classes.
For example: it took me half a year to even come close to the understanding how to approach the opera-sound. Now I took another road, but it was still helpful anyway.
To any person who loves to sing I would just want to tell you how much difference it makes. Singing classes could mean the world to any singer. I have had a stop for a year and now I started again I'm starting to realise how important it was to me and how much I missed it...

No comments:

Post a Comment